Scholarship Opportunity from The American Legion’s High School Oratorical Scholarship Program. For detail, please see their Introductory Letter 2017 and Oratorical Rules Brochure – for more info, contact Charles Armbruster at 302-893-7703.
Registation required by Friday 09 JAN 18, Contest to be held Thursday 15 FEB 18, 1800.
Scholarship awards are presented to the three finalists in the final round of the national contest as follows: 1st place: $18,000; 2nd place: $16,000; 3rd place: $14,000. Each department (state) winner who is certified into and participates in the first round of the national contest will receive a $1,500 scholarship. Each first round winner who advances to and participates in the second round, but does not advance to the final round, will receive an additional $1,500 scholarship to pursue education beyond high school.
- Citizen of or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Must be enrolled in a High School or Junior High School of State of Delaware.
- High School enrollment is as such, public, parochial, military, and private or state accredited home school.
- Student Must fill out a registration form at delegion.org no later than January 9 2018
- Student should contact a American Legion Post or a member for addition details.
- Must have a Prepared Oration as per the National Rules.
- The Assigned Topic list is in the Official Rules for the Student to study.
- The State of Delaware American Legion Rules is the same as the National Rules
- Location Wilmington VA Medical Center.
- Contest will be held on February 15, 2018 @ 6:00 P.M.
Assigned Topics for 2018 Oratorical Contest
- Amendment 2 – A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
- Amendment 3 – No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
- Amendment 15 Section 1 – The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
- Amendment 15 Section 2 – The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
- Article 2 Section 4 – The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.